Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving turkey

Thanksgiving is undoubtedly the biggest day of the year for turkey on American tables. Heritage breeds are making a comeback, with local producers selling Bourbon Reds, Bronze and Narragansetts. Frank Reese of Good Shepherd Poultry Ranch in Kansas has shown the way. Here's a story with a video of his turkeys. His star has risen along with his flock. As a board member of Farm Forward, he's keeping welfare standards high while producing turkeys and other poultry for the table.

President Obama will pardon a Broad Breasted White turkey, as usual, this year, as he did last year, in this picture. The National Turkey Federation, an industry group, supplies the turkey. Their lobby is powerful, but I'm hopeful that in his second term President Obama may be able to pardon a Bronze in the future.

On a related subject, Care2MakeADifference has a post on antibiotic use and other abuses in industrial poultry production.

Whatever you are having, take the day to reflect on your blessings.  About.com has a page of Thanksgiving prayers, poems and songs to inspire you.
O God, when I have food,
help me to remember the hungry;
When I have work,
help me to remember the jobless;
When I have a home,
help me to remember those who have no home at all;
When I am without pain,
help me to remember those who suffer,
And remembering,
help me to destroy my complacency;
bestir my compassion,
and be concerned enough to help;
By word and deed,
those who cry out for what we take for granted.
Amen.
-Samuel F. Pugh


Read more: http://www.whatchristianswanttoknow.com/10-great-thanksgiving-prayers/#ixzz2CsfUjub3
O God, when I have food,
help me to remember the hungry;
When I have work,
help me to remember the jobless;
When I have a home,
help me to remember those who have no home at all;
When I am without pain,
help me to remember those who suffer,
And remembering,
help me to destroy my complacency;
bestir my compassion,
and be concerned enough to help;
By word and deed,
those who cry out for what we take for granted.
Amen.
-Samuel F. Pugh


Read more: http://www.whatchristianswanttoknow.com/10-great-thanksgiving-prayers/#ixzz2CsfUjub3

No comments: