Thursday, May 27, 2010

Rodale gets chickens!


Leah Zerbe, Online Editor for Rodale.com, asked me for information on traditional breeds for an article on chickens. This drawing from Piper's Chickens illustrates several bantam breeds. The article is now posted at http://www.rodale.com/chicken-breeds. She has been interested in chickens over the years that we have communicated about them, and got some of her own this year. Here’s her first report:

I welcomed my chicks into my life last week. Leghorns, Ameraucanas, Delawares, Dominiques, Jersey Giants, Wyandottes, Silkies and other bantams, Polish, Buff Orpingtons, and Rhode Island Reds. They are in two kiddie pools for a few more days, and then we are moving them into the secure eggmobile.

We're now livestreaming them at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/rodale-com-live-chick-cam and hope to follow their pastured life on the farm long-term to show people the beauty of these breeds.

Thank you for introducing me to chickens! It's only been a week, and I am totally in love already!

No comments: