Monday, December 7, 2009

Black Java Roosters

A concerned chicken owner in Ft. Lupton, Colorado, north of Denver, contacted me looking for homes for her surplus Black Java roosters, such as these photographed at Garfield Farm Museum in La Fox, Illinois. She received 14 chicks from Duane Urch last spring and, with the perverse luck of the straight run, got only four pullets. Ten roosters are more than she needs, but since Javas are so rare, and Duane’s birds are so highly regarded, she is reluctant to make soup of them. She'd prefer to find places where they would be appreciated as part of a breeding flock. Please contact me if you know anyone who would be interested.

3 comments:

Christina said...

Are they listed on the forums at BackYardChickens? Beautiful birds, hope they find some good homes.

tobyt said...

I would be interested in the Black Java Roosters....how do I get in touch with the folks of record on this article? thanks....

Christine Heinrichs said...

Send me your email and I will put you in contact with her.