Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The New Yorker


Susan Orlean writes about the joys of owning chickens in the September 28 issue, now on newsstands, http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/09/28/090928fa_fact_orlean. The delightful illustration is by Ralph Steadman, http://www.ralphsteadman.com/. It's available online only to subscribers, but those who are not already subscribers can sign up for a free trial subscription. Or purchase this issue at your local bookseller or newsstand.
I was honored when she contacted me back in July for information about chickens. My colleague and mentor Ruth Ann Harnisch encouraged Ms. Orlean to contact me for information.
When Hannah Goldfield, the New Yorker's fact checker, contacted me to research some of the historical and husbandry details for the story, I was delighted. To be considered an expert by the staff of the New Yorker is high praise indeed.
Ms. Orlean mentions my book, How to Raise Chickens, which she told me she enjoyed. Hannah liked it, too. I'm so glad to have my book reach such distinguished chambers.
It's a plus that she quoted from the White House Chickens proposal, too. I feel confident that being in the New Yorker will take the proposal direct to Michelle Obama's desk. We are ready to send the chickens whenever the White House Garden is ready!

No comments: