Monday, April 13, 2009

Backyard Poultry magazine


The April/May issue of Backyard Poultry features my article on Heritage Breed Options Provide Beauty and Utility, http://tinyurl.com/dbsxxh. J.D. Belanger, Editor Emeritus, reviews my new book, How to Raise Poultry. He's very favorable, which I consider an honor.
Choosing five breeds to profile for small flocks was difficult. Initially, I thought it would be good to include five American breeds. As I pored over them, I decided that including breeds from the American, English and Continental classes would give some flavor of each of those, plus the Old English Games, because they are so iconic, and the Cubalayas, with their Oriental Game heritage.
Every breed deserves attention. I'm collecting information and organizing it into brochures on as many breeds as I can for SPPA. Thus far, I have brochures on:
Buckeyes
Buttercups
Dorking
Cold Weather Breeds
Columbian Color Pattern
Cubalayas
Dominiques
Goose
Houdans
Javas
Langshans
Old English Games
Orloffs
If your favorite breed is not on the list, perhaps you are the one to write about them! Please contact me -- I'll help you get it done. This is a great project for SPPA.

No comments: