Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Sebrights

Sebright bantams date back to 1810 in England, when their advocates began holding informal competitions. Sir John Sebright spent 30 years developing them. Their breeders organized the first specialty breed club, the Sebright Bantam Club, in 1815. They are shown in both Silver and Golden varieties.

The difference is in the ground color of the feathers, silvery white or golden bay. Lacing should be lustrous black. They are small but sprightly, at a top weight of 22 ounces for cocks and 20 ounces for hens.
This painting of Silver Sebrights by Hishime Murayama was published in the National Geographic of April 1927, in its article "The Races of Domestic Fowl" by M.A. Jull. The article includes 67 illustrations, both color paintings and black & white photos and drawings. It's a classic.

The males lack sickle feathers, so both sexes are similarly feathered. This is sometimes called henny feathering.

"If the ladies cannot take to the Sebrights, I shall lose all faith in them (the ladies I mean, not the Sebrights)," writes Lewis Wright in The Book of Poultry, 1915 edition.

He cautions against the risks of inbreeding Sebrights to avoid infertility and deterioration in markings. He advises giving them time to mature before breeding, due to their delicacy.

"A pullet has not come to maturity, and hence has not gained her full strength," he writes. though if she be very forward and well grown and in good health generally, there is no reason why such a one should not be tried with the hens."

A reader is looking for Sebright breeders in Ohio. All contacts are welcome.

1 comment:

Andrea Mangoni said...

Dear Christine, my name is Andrea Mangoni, from Italy. Sorry for my english. I'm an italian keeper of an ancient poultry breed, the Polverara hen, a crested fowl very similar to Brabanter. I'me now trying the reconstitution of the ancient flock know of this breed. It's a very old race, the first bibliographic record it's from XIV - XV century.
Now I'm writing a book on this breed, with an historical research. I've wrote to you 'cause I should need your help! I'm searching for any citation of this breed in the american bibliography, and I've seen in Google books that in the article of 1927 of National Geographic the polverara was signaled as ancestors of another poultry breed. Unfortunately I've not the chance to have the whole article, and it's very difficult for me obtain this 1927 number of NG. Could you help me? do you have this article? Should be possible to have a scan of the polverara citation? you can see something about my work and my animals (in italian, sorry!) in this pages of my websites:
http://www.oryctes.com/gallinapolverara.html
http://oryctesblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Polverara
You can contact me at the following adress: info@oryctes.com
Many thanks for you attention, and all my best regards!
Andrea Mangoni