Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Poultry in our language

Karen in Illinois sent this picture of her young Cayuga 'Ducks in a Row.' That reminded me of how poultry is entwined in our language. Having one's ducks in a row means to be well organized, to make all the appropriate preparations before beginning a project.

Karen prepared for her ducks, but they turned out to be four males and only one female. She's looking for someone who would like to trade for some of her males or sell her some hens. Contact me if you can oblige.

Other Ducks in our language:
The duck test: If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it’s probably a duck. It means that things are probably exactly what they appear to be. It is used in the context of arguments that reach to make excuses or find alternative explanations.

It is attributed to James Whitcomb Riley, who wrote in one of his poems that "when I see a bird that walks like a duck and swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, I call that bird a duck."

Oregon’s Fighting Duck mascot is Donald Duck, the Disney cartoon character.

Duck soup is an easily accomplished task or assignment.

Send me more!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Before I had chickens, I never really paid attention to the large number of poultry euphemisms we have in our language. Just today, I reached down to pick up one of my pullets and she shied away from my hand. I called her "chicken". Well, DUH!